New Resource for Parents, to Talk With Their Pediatrician
Identifying developmental delays early and connecting with appropriate resources and support is critical to the health and success of children. However parents may be unsure of when, how, and with whom to address their concerns.
1. Concerned About A Child's Development?
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has a flyer guiding parents about how to talk to the doctor about concerns regarding a child's development. Clear steps and suggestions will empower parents to approach the doctor with confidence and be prepared with the right questions.
We have modified this flyer to include San Luis Obispo County referral information for parents. The flyer is in both English and Spanish.
2. Free Milestones Tools
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides free Milestones checklists, brochures and booklets that are available online and by order. These are wonderful tools to help parents identify any signs of developmental delay, while learning more about their child's growth.
- Visit this link for a variety of downloadable Milestones tools.
- To order the Milestones booklet in English or Spanish, visit this order form. Select "Child Development - Learn the Signs. Act Early" under Programs. Press GO and you can request free booklets to be mailed to your site.
3. Placing orders for large quantities of Milestones booklets
If you need to order a larger quantity than is offered on the regular order form visit the link and order form above, then follow these steps:
- Once you are in your shopping cart click "International and Over Max Orders".
- In the box that appears make sure "Over Max Limit" is selected.
- Enter the amount desired at the top in Product Description.
- Fill out Contact Information.
- Important, at the bottom of the Contact Information box section answer the "Use of Material" question. Be as specific as possible. Provide details such as how many families you serve and what purposes the materials will be used for.
There's no minimum wait time to place another order, it is simply important to specify why you are placing another order in the "Use of Material" section.
Visit the CDC Developmental Milestones Page for more information.
Take the Developmental Milestones Quiz!
The CDC has two new books for toddlers available at no cost and in multiple formats. Both Where is Bear, a Terrific Tale for Two Year Olds and Amazing Me, It's Busy Being Three are designed to engage young readers while educating parents about important developmental milestones for toddlers. Both books can be accessed in both Spanish and English. Visit the CDC Amazing Me page for more information.
Care, Cope, Connect: A Child Friendly Resource for Families
Contact Parents Helping Parents for help with Special Needs resources. Contact PHP at 543-3277.
Download the Family Resource Center Directory and contact the appropriate Family Resource Center for help from an advocate or other staff member.
Family Resource Centers can help with non-medical needs too, such as food, clothing, and shelter.
The CDC's Free Milestone Tracker App is now available!